Wednesday 4 May 2022

I cherrypicked this unit for my next project

 These are the 11th Light Dragoons, aka the "The Cherrypickers".




Apparently a small contingent of the 11th  were caught by the French while dismounted, picking wild cherries, hence the nickname. 

These are BN50, all original as far as I can tell. They certainly have the catalogue number incised on the base. Does anybody know if Claytons also had the catalogue number on the base? They are very clean castings and have clearly never been painted before, so no detergent bath needed.

I had to paint them as the 11th as a tribute to Sir Harry Flashman, VC. If you haven't read the George McDonald Fraser "Flashman" novels I suggest you do so!. Of course, by the time Flashy joined the regiment in 1840ish they were the 11th Hussars and wore scarlet trousers, which were round his ankles most of the time. 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely unit - you don't have a spare BN50 by any chance? I wodul ike to make up my 20th LD half unit at link (https://thehintonspieler.blogspot.com/search?q=light+dragoons) and I'm still a figure short. They currently brigade with half a uinit of Brunswick Hussars for action in Eastern Spain where both units were well below regimental strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I don't have a spare BN50, they came as a 12 strong bunch on ebay and that's my standard cavalry unit size, will let you know if I see any.

      Delete
    2. No problem, I reckon one will turn up soon.

      Delete
    3. Very nice indeed, Dave. I haven't dared paint any of these yet, but the day must come eventually.

      Delete
  2. Is that you coming through as anonymous again rob? Send me an email via the link on my blog so I can respond directly

    ReplyDelete