Monday 5 March 2018

Brunswick Jaegers

The Brunswick Jaegers join the battle line.



Slightly understrength battalion, I may not field the officers which are Hinchcliffe and dwarf the other ranks.

I'm starting to get a feel for the level of painting / re-painting needed to achieve the desired 'retro' look. Basically 'less is more' and this approach means I should get the project completed before I have to sell the collection to help pay my care-home fees!

Edit: Just renewed my supply of Humbrol Matt Green #80 and gloss varnish, the two paints I use most of, and this reminded me of some discussion among fellow collectors of the variable quality of #80 recently. At least two people have mentioned taking a sample to their local DIY store and getting a large quantity matched and mixed. Take my advice, just use #80 as an undercoat and flock your bases, problem solved!

6 comments:

  1. That's a force that is really starting to be something to reckoned with, Dave. Congratulations.
    You may be on to something. I have the horrible feeling that the lead pile will outlast me.
    As for Humbrol 80, flock is indeed the solution, if not the emulsion.
    Best regards
    WM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart and the tall officers will frighten the enemy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loose green railway flock applied to green paint. Now that is a very specific style of basing that appears to have applied for a few years before gamers moved on to textured filla and grass style flock.
    All I will say of it is that in days past I have bought units that had been treated this way and its very difficult to get it off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the Archduke has been using flock for decades. An advantage is that it enables me to date my units easily by the degree of fade. I wonder whether LG's purchased units have had something more enduring than humbrol applied as adhesive. I find it trickier to keep the flock on, which is a much less sinister problem. Power to the flock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm letting the paint dry, then using dilute PVA glue to adhere the flock. I seem to remember advice in wargames circles many years ago suggesting a quick blast of hairspray over the top to help set the flock and stop it shedding!

      Delete
  5. I just accept that you need 3 coats of Humbrol 80.

    You are amassing your forces - but where are the French ?

    ReplyDelete