Sunday 4 February 2018

January blues (slightly delayed)

This should have been my January post, but it was delayed due to home improvement stuff, as per my last post. Better late than never, and the theme this month is 'Blue'.


On the left is a battalion of British infantry with blue facings, so could represent one of several regiments, or even a generic KGL unit. My original idea was to do dark blue/green facings and have them represent the 45th foot (The Sherwood Foresters) as a tribute to the area where I was born and raised, but I couldn't make a blue green mix that looked convincing in this scale. It either looked green or black. Oh well, I may well field them as the 45th anyway.

On the right is an 1815 Belgian battalion, dressed in a blue version of the British uniform. Figures kindly provided by Wellington Man. My sources vary on the light / grenadier plumes and hackles, so I've gone with what looks good to me, ie green for light and white for grenadiers with white over red plumes for centre companies.

Continuing with the Blue theme, in the background are a dozen Life Guards which will be my next painting task, time to have a go at painting some horseflesh after being a horse owner for 10 years. My OH will give me some stick if I get these wrong! The figures are DK, part of a swap with, once again, Wellington Man.

BTW if anyone has any british light cavalry (Hussars or Light Dragoons) available for swaps or for sale, please let me know!

Cheers

Dave

6 comments:

  1. Nice work - good to see some Belgians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Belgians get a bad rep in rules for the Hundred Days which assume they may still be loyal to Napoleon. Personally I'd use a dice throw to decide if they've been partaking of that excellent Belgian beer (the best in the world, and that includes the UK). 1,2, or 3 - sober and subject to normal rules, 4,5 or 6 they've had a few and get +2 on morale dice so will charge anything. But maybe -2 on musketry dice to reflect loss of accuracy! And -2" movement due to staggering a little bit.

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly approve of the classic reference works you have there, David!

    Bravo the Belgians. WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, one of the pleasures of this hobby is collecting old books. I also have Fred & Liliane Funckens (of course) plus numerous Osprey's.
      The Belgians only needed a freshen up and a little extra detail to be table ready, thanks again for those.

      Dave

      Delete
  3. Dave,

    Another vote for the Belgians!

    Tony S

    ReplyDelete
  4. No tabletop British army is complete without my regiment of the Sherwood Foresters (45th foot) even if they were not in the battles I fight when I get going!
    As to the Dutch and Belgians, they were the largest contingents of Wellington's troops when you count the numbers (something my OCD brother decided to take the effort to beat me about the head with

    ReplyDelete