Friday 6 October 2017

Flock this for a game of soldiers!

Just experimenting with basing, thought I'd share and ask for comments.


Middle pic is how I used to paint bases back in the day, I thought bright green brought out the uniform colours nicely. Back then I used old cornflake boxes as the base, then I moved on to used beer mats, they were excellent! We didn't have laser cut MDF in those days.

Left pic is humbol matt green #80, less garish but still quite old school. Nice and simple.

Right pic is the same with a sprinkling of grass effect flock from Hobbycraft. Not exactly Peter Gilder standard basing but effective nonetheless.

The figures are standing on a Hobbycraft green grass mat which I was thinking of using as a basis for some terrain modules. Nothing fancy, will probably have contour block hills and very basic river / road sections.

I think I'll go for the flocked look.

Cheers

Dave

3 comments:

  1. I am a humbrol 80 man for my classic Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your flocked bases are very attractive, Dave, as are the Grenadiers. Do you have a unit size in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I was thinking of 'half-size' Grant which hopefully will work on my limited 4x4 foot table, so 24 man infantry battalions, 12 man cavalry squadrons and 1 gun 'half batteries'. Should be suitable for Muskets and Marshalls too. I'm using M&M base frontages but allowing a little extra depth.

      Delete