Saturday 14 October 2017

KGL Conundrum

When I bought these guys they were billed as Kings German Legion.


I'm not sure the yellow Regimental colour is correct. According to the Osprey KGL reference book the standards followed 'British practice'. So as all KGL regiments had dark blue facings, surely the Regimental standard should be blue? Any advice gratefully received!

As part of the touching up process I had thought of repainting the facings yellow and have this unit represent the 15th (East Yorkshire) regiment as that's where I live, but research shows they were stationed in the West Indies from 1805 to after 1815, so to use them in the Peninsular / Waterloo campaigns would mean they are a bit off station!

8 comments:

  1. A nice looking batch of figures and I'm sure it's ok to twist history slightly in a retro project so why not have them as the East Yorkshire if that's what you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note to self - "It's only a game" . If Bernard Cornwell can invent the South Essex regiment I'm sure I can get away with a 3rd battalion of the 15th foot.

      Delete
  2. The flag should have a blue field for a KGL battalion. Yellow does tend to stand out better on the figures and there were plenty of regiments in the Peninsular War with yellow facings.

    http://www.warflag.com/flags/napoleon/napbritain1.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Stryker - paint them as whatever you want them to be! I have a special yen to do the King's Regiment, who spent the entire Napoleonic Wars in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is some inspiration.

    http://generalpicton.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling inspired! That massed drum corps is truly impressive.

      Delete
  5. No arguments about any of the above. I want to paint at least one wall of a KGL infantry square before I leave this earth for the tabletop battlefield in the sky!!! Likely they will be a mix of Airfix and other plastic figures, as I am saving my metal Hinto Hunts for the tabletop campaigns, not diorams type pieces

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I agree, vintage wargames look best with a uniform pose within a unit, but for dioramas you can't beat plastics. That dismounted man sheltering behind his fallen horse is a classic Airfix pose but not much use in a wargame, unless you use rules with casualty markers.

    ReplyDelete