Saturday 23 September 2017

Brunswick bewilderment

I bought these guys as 'Brunswick Avante Garde' on ebay, clearly not Hinton Hunt, maybe Minifigs S range? Any info gratefully received. On temporary bases at the moment pending any re-touching/re-painting.



And the officer looks more like a later Minifigs 25mm casting. So much taller than the other ranks, I guess I can justify this by the fact that the officer corps would have been better fed than the peasants recruited from the forests and mountains for the Jaeger corps. They are painted in a quite dark neutral grey/green so I guess they could qualify equally as Waterloo period  Avante Garde Jaegers (both types) as well as Peninsular period Oels Jaegers.

I always thought the Black Brunswickers' early history would make an interesting wargame campaign. A fighting retreat across northern Germany to the mouth of the Weser where they were embarked by the Royal Navy before entering British service. Shame about their subsequent poor reputation in the Peninsular (famous for rate of desertion, probably due to the fact that replacements came from German/other PoWs and better quality recruits went to the KGL). But they seem to have redeemed themselves in the 100 days.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the madness that is vintage 20mm Napoleonics. Seems that you aren't that far away from me - I'm near Grimsby.

    Tony S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony,

      Practically on my doorstep, drop me an enail via the link on my blog if you want to chat.

      Cheers

      Dave

      Delete
    2. Mailed you

      Tony S

      Delete
  2. I think they look like Hinchcliffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do Mark, but I never owned any of the very early Hinchcliffes. It was only when I got a paper round and then weekends stacking shelves in a supermarket that I could afford such luxuries, and by that time the later larger figures were in production. And then there was the dilemma, do I spend my meager wages on figures or the new Led Zeppelin album? Life seemed so complicated in those days.

      Cheers

      Dave

      Delete
  3. They don't look like Minifigs. The S Range I've seen are leaning forward and have a short rifle. S Range often (not always) have a code number followed by S on the base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Possibly Scruby? Are they the same height as Hinton Hunt?

    ReplyDelete