Monday 18 September 2017

Back in the mid 60s I was an avid builder of Airfix plastic kits. One Christmas I was given a Roman Bireme ship model (Revell / Heller?) along with a box of Airfix Romans, which I was captivated by, but had no idea what to do with. So I went to the local library and took out 'Tackle Model Soldiers This Way' by Donald F Featherstone. I was immediately hooked. Through the late 60s / early 70s I mainly collected Airfix plastics (2s/3d a box for 40 - 50 figures as opposed to 1s/3d for a Hinton Hunt infantry figure, on 2s/6d a week pocket money it was a no-brainer). Then came University, marriage, mortgage and career,so wargaming faded into the distant background. Now at an age when  retirement is looming I've decided it's time to scratch that itch again. I have a reasonable number of vintage 20mm Napoleonics from various manufacturers mostly gleaned from ebay over the last 2 years, the original idea was to strip and repaint but for now I'm just re-basing so I can field a couple of armies and start gaming in a reasonable timescale. If it's painted and looks OK from 2 feet away then it will do for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment