Tuesday 15 March 2022

La Bataille de la Forêt de Mérite (remastered}

After my last post where I showed the setup for a small game which was supposed to test my amendments to Charles Grant's original 1970's rules, I decided to add some river sections to the terrain. Here is a pic of the game in progress:




It took me a couple of weeks to complete the game as I only played a move or two per day, and I had a week on the Costa del Sol halfway through (which was very nice, good weather, good food, covid restrictions gradually being rolled back). I won't give a move by move account , but the rules seemed to give a good game, however they still need a bit of tweaking. British Rifles, even taking a full stationary move to reload, have devastating firepower. need to address that. Artillery rules are simplified, not using any 'devices', instead a battery (1 gun + 4 crew) fire with the same effect as a battalion of infantry, but with increased range. fire effect decreases by 25% with the loss of each crew figure. That seems to work well. Command and control effect on morale is just calculated as a percentage of cumulative losses, rather than relying on individual officer figures becoming casualties. Morale tests generally have little effect until a unit falls below 50% strength, when they automatically break and run. Will have to tweak that as well. Another few test games needed!

5 comments:

  1. I think I commented on these rules on the 'Ilkley Old School' blog. A shame not to have an AAR but I know they can be a pain to put together but a few close ups of your troops in action would be much appreciated for morale purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob, I know Mark from Ilkley Old School uses similar rules, I believe he leans towards "Charge!". My reluctance to use artillery devices is based on the fact that they are designed to work with individual figures e.g. separate officers for command and control purposes, and I prefer to incorporate speciality figures among the rank and file on multiple bases. I will definitely include some close up pictures for my next battle, but may need to upgrade my phone to one with a better camera first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some close ups would indeed be nice…

    But it’s good to see the toys on the table…
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impresssed by your modular river system.
    The troops look lovely!
    I shall follow your rules development with great interest.
    Best regards
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, Yes I'm quite pleased with the modular river sections, all cobbled together from left over 5mm laminate flooring underlay, plus some sheet Readigrass which I bought a while back on spec. I had to buy the blue paint, but it was a tester pot from B and Q so didn't break the bank. I also used a fair amount of PVA glue, but that was left over from a DIY project.
      I'm trying to develop the rules so they give a game in the spirit of the original, but I hate book-keeping so I'm trying to simplify. e.g. in the Grant rules cavalry haver a standard move of 130 yards, plus an extra move of 170 yards, but this can only be 1 in 6 moves. I'm just going to average this out to a 140 yard move, with no record keeping needed, or marker dice.
      Cheers
      Dave

      Delete