Sunday 15 July 2018

50 Shades of Grey....

.....well maybe 12 shades if I'm honest, and all quite similar.
Which is my clumsy way of introducing the 2nd Royal North British Dragoons (Scots Greys).

Left view


Right view


Rear view


Lady Butler style view


This is one of those iconic units which any Napoleonic British army has to include, it's an unwritten law.
These are original HH one-piece castings. Some missing swords needed replacing. Looking at the finished results I wish I'd replaced them all, as a few are a bit stubby and look more like butchers' cleavers. I find the pose quite amusing, as if the riders are all a bit shy and are trying to hide their faces.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful new unit to add to your army. It is nice that you were able to find 12 original Hinton Hunts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments CN, These came as a lot of 17 on ebay so I have 5 spares, let me know if they are any use to you. All have broken swords and need old paint stripping.

      Delete
  2. Smashingly dashing, Dave, and very inspirational. I yearn to do some proper Brits!
    All the best,
    WM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the sword arm was positioned so that it would be easy to cast and epwas intendd that the owner could then carefully detach the sword hand from the face and vart the arm position.mTry tgat on a spare,though if they are late castings you might find a bit of flash has accummulated there as the rubber innthe moulds eventually became brittle and woukd break at undercuts. An iconic unt, though it only fought at Waterloo, perhaps the reason they were so keen to get stuck in...twenty years of war and no action...bad for promotion prospects that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments LG, I totally agree, Marcus H expected purchasers to separate the hands from the head and set their own poses. I'm sure these are the figures on the cover of Featherstone's Advanced Wargames and they have the sword arms pointing straight ahead. But I still like them as they came out of the mould.

      Cheers

      Dave

      Delete