Friday 15 March 2019

Alberken again

My latest French Line Infantry battalion, once again the fusiliers are Alberken and the flank companies Minifigs, with a Newline officer and drummer.


Next project is prepped and ready for painting in the background, a unit of Hinton Hunt French Line infantry in greatcoats. I hope to get these completed in less than a week as there is much less detailed painting needed than the full dress uniform.

Edit: Adding comparison pic for Anonymous


This is the command group from the front. I have another drummer and officer from the same lot I bought on eBay, pictured right. As you can see I didn't need to add shims under the figures to bring them up to HH height, so maybe they aren't Newline? I bought them as a quite cheap lot because they had a good few officers and musicians which seem to fit well size wise with HH, but manufacturer wasn't specified. Maybe Art Miniaturen?

11 comments:

  1. Very nice. Did you build up the base of the Newline figures to bring them in line with the Alberken? It would be very helpful if you could add a front picture or some measurements (sole of foot to eye level).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have edited my post with a comparison pic.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant, the HH community has OD'd recently on Garde so a unit of Ligne followed by another in greatcoats - must be my birthday! They are really nice too, I think the Newline fit in rather well, the Minifigs perhaps less so but more owing to the pose difference - I think I would've given them a quarter turn to their left when basing to better match the fusiliers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I totally get why gamers back in the day OD'd on Guard units, they are a lot fancier than Line units. I'm trying to limit myself to 10-20% Guard in my OOB, even that is a bit OTT, but what the hey?

      Delete
  3. Thanks Rob, I did consider a quarter turn but the minifigs bases are quite large square affairs so I would have had to snip the corners off to fit on the M&M size multiple bases, so I wimped out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do not look like Newline figures which are much smaller. Perhaps they are SHQ/Kennington.

    I do like the early Minfigs figures. In fact the elite figures were amongst the first metal figures I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, could be SHQ, I defer to your superior knowledge, I've never seen any of these, but have quite a few very similar figures from a very cheap mixed lot I got on eBay, including infantry in forage caps, casualties, pioneers etc. Was planning to use them to fill in gaps in my units.

      Delete
  5. They look great, Dave. I'm a big fan of the "high port" Alberken fusilier, but have yet to amass a battalion's worth. Those HH greatcoated infantry are a fantastic find. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt, I've emailed you with details of my spare Alberken fusiliers and HH greatcoated infantry (which I suspect are recasts, but good ones)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are definitely SHQ/Kennington figures. same sculptor hence the similarities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, appreciate your input. I have a few dozen from the same ebay purchase, including pioneers, casualties, bare-headed, etc. Do you know if SHQ / Kennington ever did these?

      Delete