Wednesday 1 May 2019

Curiouser and Cuirassier......

.....as Alice (almost) said when she expanded like a telescope after eating some dodgy cake. I'm feeling a bit stretched too, life has been rather hectic recently, what with an operation on my nose (and another to come very shortly), my horse has had an abscess in her hoof which meant daily dressing changes, and work has been quite hectic too. But I managed to schedule in a little painting time and here is the result.




Mainly original HH with a few copies.

5 comments:

  1. I do like those - I prefer cavalry that hold their swords like that, up against their body it eliminates so many of the casting and fragility issues. Is this your first cuirassier unit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob, these are the first French Cuirassiers I've painted since 1969, when I bought several boxes of the newly released Airfix Waterloo French Cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember painting some of those a long time ago; the paint always flaked off the sword (I used enamel gloss) and I could never get the horse to stay on their bases...

      Delete
    2. I remember articles in Airfix Magazine recommending pushing a pin up through the base into the horses belly to fix them in place.The US cavalry from the 60's were quite poor in that respect. To be fair some of the later Airfix cavalry had much more secure bases, the British Hussars weren't bad.

      Delete
    3. Ah, the British Hussars - I painted a box of those up as Garde Chasseurs a Cheval, happy days. All my Airfix went into the bin when I went to Uni - the time to leave boyish pursuits behind. I was well narked to discover Wargaming Soc including some Airfix armies amongst the metal… I'm now firmly under the thumb of my inner child.

      Delete